Monday, February 17, 2014

The Story Behind "Portrait of an Apology"

I originally came up with the idea for “Portrait of an Apology” several years ago. I used to have a friend who took care of her sister who was mentally and physically disabled, and on occasion when she wanted to go out, I would watch her sister for her. From that I saw how much she loved her sister, as well as how much her sister took over her life. It’s very difficult to maintain personal relationships outside of such a demanding relationship, and I wanted to approach that.

It was not an easy task. I didn’t feel as though that was enough, so I felt I had to sever that relationship to push the main character forward. In my first draft I don’t feel I was as successful as I would have liked to have been in demonstrating that. Because I opted for the letter treatment in my original draft, I didn’t really build scenes for the story. That was a large part of the reason why I opted to rewrite this story.


With that I will leave you with the second draft to come. The concept is still the same, I just moved out of the character to write it. I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment